Monday, November 19, 2012

Frugal Femme Fatal

So I'm sitting here, drinking my candy cane hot chocolate, thinking, DAMN...I'm really early for work! Today was a day where I decided to be a bit frugal after driving Yuta to work.  He worked at 10 and I worked at 11, so I thought I would look all cool and go sit with my laptop and my drink my faux coffee.  All I needed was a croissant and a tiara, and I would be the modern twist Audrey Hepburn via Breakfast at Tiffany's.  But I'm getting off on quite a tangent! Today, I wanted to talk about Christmas on a budget. I personally don't see the need to spend $700 on Christmas when I can make something that will mean a lot more to someone than something store bought.  Also, if you're like me, and want to feel like a money saving superhero, then listen up!

I've been on a really big "homemade fabulous" kick.  I've been scouring all the websites looking for cheap home/handmade gifts for people that don't necessarily look homemade or that basically don't look cheap or like a cop-out.  I've found a couple of really great things, like an adorable felt key chain, or easy DIY necklaces with some glitter, pendants, and sealant.  the possibilities are seemingly endless for what to make!  Now, a lot of stuff I've seen require at least some knowledge of a sewing machine, of which I have none.  So if you're like me, and want some no-sew ideas, check out Craftgawker.com.  I just did a review of FoodGawker, which has the same idea of shared food-related items vs the homemade universe of craftgawker, which is why this name might sound so familiar to you.

I have found quite a few things that are homemade that could go into an awesome "winter survival kit", since I have feeling with it being so warm now, we are gonna get one hell of a winter. One of the items is a Handmade Hand Warmer, found here at http://www.henryhappened.com/diy-heart-hand-warmers.html#
Another thing is this big chunky scarf, http://blog.bloomspot.com/2012/10/diy-circle-scarves/, cause maybe knitting or crocheting is your thing!  Most of these designs on the site come with a free pattern, so free not if you're artistic ability is minimal.  There is also a recipe for handmande soap!  This site has everything you could possibly want to make someone for Christmas!  So head on over now and look for yourself!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, your reference to Breakfast at Tiffany's blew me away LOL. Who knew kids appreciated the oldies?
    Secondly, love your idea of hand-made gifts. I've been doing it forever - first to save $$ when we were poor-young-marrieds, now because I have lots of time and enjoy making and giving special things to special people.
    You continue to impress me, Lauren! You go, girl!!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha breakfast at Tiffany's is a classic, not an oldie! Much like yourself!

    ReplyDelete