Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mother Knows Best...

I've been really lucky in my life.  No, I've never won the lottery, my parents aren't swimming in money, and my car is pretty much on its last leg.  But I have some of the greatest parents in the world.  And that makes me luckier than most.

All through my life, I have made more than my fair share of mistakes and trouble making, but I knew that at the end of the day, I still had my parents support.  Like the time of my car accident.  They came practically running when I called each of them, and really just tried to reassure me that even though it was my fault, everyone involved was OK and that something a lot worse could have happened.

My dad is one of my greatest hero's. He can (most of the time) fix a car like nobody's business.  He has a real knack for handy work, and whenever I have a problem with our house or my car, he's the first one I call.  He's somebody that I have always looked up to, mostly because he is quite a tall man! While we are not very close in nature, I know that the father-daughter bond we have will always be there and I will always be his little girl.  I know he's gonna miss me when I move away again, but I really can't wait for him to come visit and show him all the reasons why I love being abroad. Even if he will never understands why, I know he will always support me in whatever way he can.

My mom on the other hand is just my best friend in the entire world.  I got REALLY lucky in the mom department.  She's one of those mom's who was always a little more lenient, but put her foot down when the time came.  She was the one that struck fear into our hearts as children, probably because she was more prone to yelling and spanking! Haha! At my house, it was never "wait until your father gets home!", it was always "wait until your mother gets home!"

But my mom has been great, especially over the last couple of years.  When I went away to Japan and came home engaged, she was a little shell shocked, but I remember her telling me that long distance relationships aren't easy, and that I had better be prepared for the work that went into one.  She has always been really good at giving advice, even if I didn't always follow it.  She knows that sometimes, I have to make my own mistakes.

I still to this day to go her for advice on things like work, my relationship, and even fashion advice, because I know she will tell me straight like it is.  After all, Mother Knows Best.


No comments:

Post a Comment